KABC Testimony - KanCare Oversight August 22, 2017
Today in the Kansas Legislature KABC is voicing quality concerns about KanCare/Medicaid and how it impacts State services for older adults.
- Long delays to approve Medicaid applications of frail elders – up to 9 months placing them at real risk and blocking them from nursing facilities and in–home services
- Failing to notify elders of their right to appeal during the delays, no independent legal advocacy to assist elders
- Loss of Targeted Case Management (TCM) support for older adults, including elders with Dementia
- Over 2,700 fewer older adults served by Medicaid since KanCare began, even as the older adult population expands
- Inadequate health and safety oversight – 50th worst in nation for drugging elders with dementia; delayed health safety inspections