KABC’s Legislative Priorities ~ 2019
Hanging in the Balance – Older Adult Health and Safety
Priority 1: Oversight – Nursing and Assisted Facility Survey/Inspections
- Inspections delayed 5-12 months beyond 12 months defined in State and Federal law
- KDADS inspection unit fully staffed at 60, 2018 and now understaffed by 18-22 inspectors
- 2019-20 budget enhancement funds only one new surveyor position
- 2019 budget supplemental brought wage parity for current surveyors, no new surveyors
- KDADS not conducting on-site verification of facility corrections for deficiencies except at the highest level of harm/immediate jeopardy (IJ)
Impact on Elders: Suffer abuse/neglect longer. Harm is greater. Facility poor care continues.
- New leadership at KDADS – Secretary, Commissioner of Survey, & Survey Director. Fill positions with conflict free, non-industry personnel
- Funding for all vacant surveyor/inspector positions. Defined plan to fill and train surveyor positions.
Priority 2: Stop Misuse of Anti-Psychotic Drugs on Elders with Dementia
- Not approved for dementia treatment. Increases risk of stroke, falls, infection and double the risk of death in 10 weeks with use
- Kansas now ranks 42nd worst in U.S. for wrongful anti-psychotic drug use in nursing homes, up from the 38th worst of last quarter. KS ranking since 2011, 51st to 38th worst
Impact on Elders: Death, suffering, impaired cognitive function.
- Require written informed consent from person or legal representative
- Public health campaign targeted to prescribers and public of dangers
- Implement better dementia care practices – Dementia State Plan to be released in January
Priority 3: Fix 60-Day Provisional Employment in Background Check law-2427
- Facility hires staff for 60 days – no cleared background check , no eyes-on supervision, no notice to residents, no financial liability should harm occur
Impact on Elders: Real risk of abuse, neglect, theft. Unaware of danger. Unable to pursue financial restitution from facility for harm.
- Eliminate Provisional Employment
- Competent workforce in adequate numbers to meet long-term care needs in all settings
Priority: KANCARE Fixes Needed – Timely eligibility determination. Access to care in all settings.
Priority: Attach defined quality improvement for older adults to provider reimbursement, e.g. “Bed Tax $”